IE 8 inPrivate Filtering on by Default
NOTE: A better way to block ads, popups, cookie setters, and profile trackers is to edit your hosts file, which will block such annoyances on all browsers and web applications. Go here for more info on hosts files.
IE 8 inPrivate Filtering mode can be set to on/enabled by default by doing the following:
- Open IE 8.
- Click on the InPrivate Filtering button in the status bar (lower right) to enable inPrivate Filtering.
- Leaving your IE 8 browser open, go to and click on your Windows Start button. Click on the “Run..” button, found below the Search button. (this is for Windows XP users. I don’t know yet how to open the Registry Editor on Windows Vista, since I don’t have Windows Vista)
- type “regedit” in the run box. Hit “Ok”.
- The Windows Registry Editor tool will open.
- In the tool, open this folder: My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Safety\PrivacIE
- Once this folder is open, click on: Edit > New > DWORD Value
- Give the new value that appears this name: ”StartMode”. Hit enter
- Right click on the new StartMode, choose “Modify”.
- In the field “Value Data”, type “1″. Hit “Ok”.
- That’s it. Close the Registry Editor. Close and restart your IE 8 browser, you’ll see that inPrivate Filtering is on by default.